The widow of U.S. Army Sgt. La David Johnson, who was killed in Niger earlier this month, appeared on “Good Morning America” on Monday morning to confirm widely reported accounts of President Donald Trump’s “cold-hearted” condolence call to her last week, triggering a swift reaction from the president on Twitter.
In an interview with George Stephanopoulos, Myeshia Johnson reaffirmed descriptions of the president’s call first made public last week by Rep. Frederica Wilson (D-Fla.), who was with the family for the call and has since been the target of several Twitter attacks by Trump.
“Whatever Ms. Wilson said was not fabricated,” said Myeshia Johnson. “What she said was a hundred percent correct.”
Watch:
In her interview on Monday, Myeshia said that Trump told them her husband “knew what he signed up for”—a comment that sparked immediate backlash on social media, and which the widow said made her cry. Myeshia added that she was frustrated by the president’s tone, and that he was “stumbling” when trying to remember her husband’s name.
Trump fired back on Twitter, describing his conversation with Myeshia as “respectful,” and refuting her claim that he had stumbled over La David’s name.
Click Here: Rugby league Jerseys
Myeshia’s affirmation follows that of La David’s mother, who confirmed the congresswoman’s account of the call last week—after Trump claimed Wilson’s account was “totally fabricated”—and told the Washington Post: “President Trump did disrespect my son and my daughter and also me and my husband.”